Manhwa / Webtoon Thread - 🇰🇷 S. Korea Comics

SAHO

Thousand Master
To keep it short and sweet. This will be a discussion thread for the Manhwas, Webtoons / S. Korea comic series.
★ General talk

Announcements/News/Updates/Events
★ Artworks/Illustrations
★ ...whatever else comes to mind, tbc for now ¯\(ツ)

Have fun! 🔥

What is Manhwa & Webtoon?

Polish_20220504_225834400.jpg

Manhwa (Korean: 만화; Hanja: 漫畵; Korean pronunciation: [manhwa]) is the general Korean term for comics and print cartoons. Outside Korea, the term usually refers to South Korean comics. Manhwa is a notable part of South Korean culture but has extended its reach to many other countries. These comics have branched outside of Korea by access of Webtoons and have created an impact that has resulted in many movie and television show adaptations.

Webtoons (Korean: 웹툰) are a type of digital comic that originated in South Korea usually meant to be read on computers and smartphones.

While webtoons were mostly unknown outside of Korea during their inception, there has been a surge in popularity internationally thanks in great part to the rise in popularity of manhwa and the fact that most manhwa are released as webtoons. In the country, as digital manhwa have emerged as a popular medium, print publication of manhwa has decreased. The amount of material published in webtoon form has now reached an equal amount as that published offline.

u/noro_gre avatar

From Reddit user noro_gre

Here is a list of official platforms, that support the authors for their work:

Recommended (for newcomers)
www.webtoons.com/en/ - it's free and has the best app of all

tapas.io/ - you purchase "ink" to pay for episodes, but every Monday they give away free ink and do many other giveaways. Also have an excellent app

toomics.com/ - this one may be on a subscription model or payment per episode, depending on your preferred language. The app is ok, but on the browser you can access the +18 stuff (which isn't allowed on the app)

tappytoon.com/ - also paid per episode, has a very clean and sleek app

lezhinus.com/ - you pay per episode, plus has access to a great +18 selection

This collection? Can't say I have. Are these aimed for children and above or is the cover makes it seem so?

Yeah this one, I'd say like all ages it's not specifically for young kids :) Beautiful art and lovely SOL stories, plus Milkyway (which has a bit more story though episodic) is in full colour, I own all three volumes of One Fine Day and both volumes of Milkyway Hitchhiking as physical volumes :)

Selected trailers

Additional trailers

Last edited:

New to WEBTOON

image.jpgimage (1).jpg
image (2).jpg

More new series:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220505-000905.jpg
    Screenshot_20220505-000905.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Yeah this one, I'd say like all ages it's not specifically for young kids :) Beautiful art and lovely SOL stories, plus Milkyway (which has a bit more story though episodic) is in full colour, I own all three volumes of One Fine Day and both volumes of Milkyway Hitchhiking as physical volumes :)
Oh, I loved One Fine Day! Thank you for reminding me about it - and for mentioning Milkyway Hitchhiking (which I haven't read so far). Sirial's art is so cute. :)

New to WEBTOON

image (3).jpgimage (4).jpg
Polish_20220505_174919504.jpg
Two of many interesting expressions of Jeongmin 😶 (Eren Yeager approved ✅)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220505-124746.jpg
    Screenshot_20220505-124746.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220505-124845.jpg
    Screenshot_20220505-124845.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Will there be a spinoff series called Chocolate Log featuring competitions of baking... to the death!! :p (I'm not mocking the comic per se I just wanted to make puns 😭 )

New to WEBTOON

image.png

P A I N 😭 I need more content, this webtoon has me seriously hooked.
Polish_20220511_133740509.png
Screenshot_20220511-134204.jpg

Attachments

• 20220511_135103.jpg
    20220511_135103.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220511_135104.jpg
    20220511_135104.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back