What were you watching in 2012? The Anime UK News writers reminisce about their favourite anime from a decade ago

I think I was on an anime buying hiatus around that time, as I'd just started shift work and was getting on with my main mission of visiting places in Europe. It was probably around this time that I encountered Haruhi Suzumiya and Ouran High School Host Club, but it was mostly watching old stuff and short trips to the following places:

Amsterdam Jan 2012
Iceland Feb 2012
Prague Apr 2012
Newquay Jul 2012
Edinburgh Festival Aug 2012
Budapest Oct 2012
Japan/Melbourne Dec 2012

Sometimes its not just about the anime. (I won't say how much stuff I bought in Japan as presents for my nieces and nephew).

I certainly lamented the loss of Utakoi from the English-speaking world. It's a distinctive show that blends some modern stylings into its historical setting, and it's depressing that I can't remember more about the stories now it's been so long since I saw it.

Screenshot_20220224-112226.png
Quite a few mentioned in the feature. All the series were watched streaming later than the actual airing date and the films either on TV or Blu-ray.
English names in order are Waiting in the Summer (by the same director as Anthem of the Heart and AnoHana), Fusé: Memoirs of a Huntress, A Letter to Momo, Wolf Children, The Pet Girl of Sakurasou and Li'l Spider Girl (from Pigtails and Other Short Films). Joshiraku doesn't have an English title.

A higher score than 2002 although the shorts (LSG and Blossom) and spin offs given the same score as the main series (Steins;Gate and Kokkoro Connect OVAs) skew it a bit.

Back