The Executioner and Her Way of Life Volume 1 Review

Demelza

Adventuring Alchemist
AUKN Staff
In a world that's suffered from the powers of 'Otherworlders’, protagonist Menou is tasked with assassinating those who are summoned from Japan. This new spin on the isekai genre promises to throw the whole idea of being summoned to another world on its head!

Continue reading...

Isn't this exactly the same concept as the manga that was just cancelled after one chapter?

Isn't this exactly the same concept as the manga that was just cancelled after one chapter?
While there's some similarity the problem with Cheat Slayer was due to its depiction of other properties. While parody isn't an issue by itself, the characters were portrayed in a more malicious manner that could lead to problems. Very obvious the author had some contempt for the genre

Cheat Slayer
I hadn't heard of this, fascinating. That sounds hilarious, seems a bit odd that it caused a stir given the manga world's general acceptance of dōjinshi. Hopefully this isn't the start of Japanese creators signalling their willingness to become more litigious, though I'm fairly confident parody is legally protected and this appears to be a case of the creator backing down even though they didn't legally have to. Shame.

I hadn't heard of this, fascinating. That sounds hilarious, seems a bit odd that it caused a stir given the manga world's general acceptance of dōjinshi. Hopefully this isn't the start of Japanese creators signalling their willingness to become more litigious, though I'm fairly confident parody is legally protected and this appears to be a case of the creator backing down even though they didn't legally have to. Shame.
Like I've said it wasn't an issue of it being a parody. The portrayal of the characters was went beyond parody and was obviously malicious towards the series being parodied. Apparently one scene even featured one of these caricatures raping a girl. It was just edge for the sake of edge and several isekai authors even called it out on this. Issues of portrayal aside I hear the first chapter was just awful anyway so that certainly didn't help it win any fans.

Last edited:
While there's some similarity the problem with Cheat Slayer was due to its depiction of other properties. While parody isn't an issue by itself, the characters were portrayed in a more malicious manner that could lead to problems. Very obvious the author had some contempt for the genre
I was just pointing out what a wellspring of originality the isekai genre is. 😏

Like I've said it wasn't an issue of it being a parody. The portrayal of the characters was went beyond parody and was obviously malicious towards the series being parodied. Apparently one scene even featured one of these caricatures raping a girl. It was just edge for the sake of edge and several isekai authors even called it out on this. Issues of portrayal aside I hear the first chapter was just awful anyway so that certainly didn't help it win any fans.
Is there a way to define what constitutes going "beyond" parody though, from a technical or legal perspective? As for the nature of the content, if creators are going to complain about parodies of their characters doing horrible things, I have to wonder how they have managed to remain unaware of H-dōjins...

Is there a way to define what constitutes going "beyond" parody though, from a technical or legal perspective? As for the nature of the content, if creators are going to complain about parodies of their characters doing horrible things, I have to wonder how they have managed to remain unaware of H-dōjins...
Look I'll admit I don't know the legal and technical aspects of parody and satire and I never intended for it to be interpreted in that way so I won't continue that topic.

I think the big difference between Cheat Slayer and doujins is precisely because they're doujins. There's a big difference between independent works and those being published by a a major company like Kadokawa. Many of the series being parodied like Re:Zero, Konosuba, Overlord and Saga of Tanya the Evil are also published by Kadokawa so I don't expect the authors to be too happy with their publisher promoting a series portraying their characters in such a way. This is only my interpretation of the situation so feel free to ignore my ramblings.

@ActionFaust fair enough. In that case I’ll just say I think that seems a bit spineless of Kadokawa and a bit self-important on the part of the authors of those other works, then.

Back