More details on BBC Four’s Japan Season unveiled

I

Ian Wolf

Further information on some of the programmes in BBC Four’s Japan season are coming to light.

Already trailered is The Art of Japanese Life presented by art historian Dr. James Fox. This three-part series will see explore the complexities of Japanese life via Japan’s relationship with nature, the city and the home. The first episode covers nature, looking at its relationship with both Buddhism and Shintoism, zen gardens, bonsai trees, and sees a visit to Naoshime Art Island. The first episode appears to be scheduled for 21.00 on 12th June.

Provisionally scheduled directly afterwards at 22.00 is Handmade in Japan, another three-part series which accompanies The Art of Japanese Life. This programme looks at the manufacture of three traditional Japanese items: the samurai sword, the kimono, and traditional pots.

Currently planned for 13th June at 21.00 is Ryan Gander: The Idea of Japan, in which the conceptual artist looks at the connections between Japanese visual culture and time. This is the first of any of the programmes to have something definitely anime related, as among the things that featured are Gundam figures. He will also look at both the traditional icons such as samurai, geisha and cheery blossoms, as well as modern aspects such as Tokyo street style.

There also appear to be repeats of past programmes scheduled such as nature documentary Japan: Earth’s Enchanted Islands.

Continue reading...

Already trailered is The Art of Japanese Life presented by art historian Dr. James Fox.
Did anyone else see that last night? I thought it was brilliant. I'd never even heard of Fox before, but he was so engaging as a presenter and clearly has a very deep-rooted passion and respect for Japanese culture. Roll on part 2 next week for that Takahata interview.

The following programme last night, on the process of making a samurai sword, was really interesting too.

More programmes have been announced for the season: another art documentary, Hokusai: Old Man Crazy to Paint; and an episode of Storyville called "Tokyo Girls", which follows a pop idol named Rio and, "her 'brothers': a group of adult male superfans who devote their lives to following her—in the virtual world and in real life."

Did anyone else see that last night? I thought it was brilliant. I'd never even heard of Fox before, but he was so engaging as a presenter and clearly has a very deep-rooted passion and respect for Japanese culture. Roll on part 2 next week for that Takahata interview.

The following programme last night, on the process of making a samurai sword, was really interesting too.

Just caught up with the series and have to agree that James Fox has been excellent: a well informed and sympathetic presenter. Some good insights into contemporary life in Japan; I loved the architect in last night's third and final programme (and Dr Fox's reaction to a specially prepared bento box!)

Back