The Promised Neverland - Episode 4

D1tchd1gger

Shrine Maiden
Phew, what a doozy!
So Gilda is innocent, that meant it could have been Don, but I was thinking it could have also been Ray! And right at the end right after having possibly confirmed that it was Don, Norman confirms my thinking, but could Norman be testing him? Also if Ray was the spy why didn't he tell Mom about both? And isn't it rather coincidental that he chose the hiding spot that Don was supposedly told as Emma already found out that it wasn't Gilda, but he wasn't to know at that time! Unless he wanted to frame Don rather than Gilda as he obviously would know both were innocent.

I didn't care really. I'm not sure why I'm not as impressed by it as everyone else seems to be. Maybe I don't like the characters, I don't know but it really wouldn't bother me if they all got eat in shock twist or something. The mouths do look too high though.

I feel every story twist so far has been handed on plate to the viewer. Every episode seems to feature a game of tag which is getting a bit boring. Im still yet to see what makes this show the cream of Shounen Jump.

I've been seeing a few "the manga is better" comments pop up. Now some manga readers seem to say that of everything, but does seem to be a problem with anime with a lot of source material condensing stuff into one cour.
Just going by the comments they might be aiming for just over 4 volumes, which seemed fine for the shows from the last 2 years that I have the manga for. Although those were SOL and stuff could be skipped without harm, whereas a dramatic story could seem a little off with stuff getting cut.

SJ have loads of great/good series right now, so its certainly debatable whether its their best running manga.

One Piece
My Hero Academia
Haikyuu
Promised Neverland
Food Wars
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Dr Stone
Black Clover
Hunter x Hunter (Occasionally)

I feel like PN gets a lot of extra hype/praise just because it doesn't follow your typical shounen format so even people who usally claim to dislike the genre start to take an interest. Like @crashmatt and @Girls wIth Guns for example. 😝

Plus it just happens to be a really good story too, on top of that. (From what ive read so far)

Calling it now, ever pragmatic Ray was just hedging his bets. If the escape worked he'd be free, if it didn't he'd still have ensured his own safety. I can't necessarily say I blame him at this point, the kids are not very bloody careful or subtle about all this, are they? The adults would probably have had them worked out even without his help.
I feel every story twist so far has been handed on plate to the viewer.
Yeah, this is slightly concerning. While I haven't read the manga it strikes me as a way to blaze through a story in a limited number of episodes, and it's not really making for the most intriguing viewing.

I still hate the subtitling of "Mama" as "Mom", it just has a totally different feel. I mean, only little kids call their mothers "Mama", but a 47 year old will still call their mother "Mom", it removes all the connotations with childishness and dependence that are inherent in the term.

I feel like PN gets a lot of extra hype/praise just because it doesn't follow your typical shounen format so even people who usally claim to dislike the genre start to take an interest. Like @crashmatt and @Girls wIth Guns for example. 😝
I'm hurt that I wasn't mentioned. :p Personally, the difference for me between a shonen show I'm willing to give the time of day and one I'm not is fairly simple - Is the main focus of the story people beating each other up? Because if it is, I have zero interest. If it's not, or if combat is fairly incidental to the overall story like in say, series like FMA, Death Note, AoT or TPN then yeah, I'll give it a go. But my patience for watching people fight, then spend the time they're not fighting talking about fighting or learning to get better at fighting wears very thin very quickly. It just bores the absolute a*se off me.

learning to get better at fighting
Yeah the 'power creep' is annoying as hell.
"remember when I taught you that thing and everything was cool, but then you came up against a harder foe and lost? Well now I'm going to to tell you a new thing that I conveniently forgot to tell you about back then so everything can be cool again!"
Might as well add "see you in another few episodes when you get beaten again and I'll tell you about another technique that I'm conveniently forgetting to tell you about today!"

Back